How can you mask the smell of a kitchen trash can?

Paytons Mommy

Does anyone have any tips on how to mask the smell of a kitchen trashcan? I feel like I don't even fill mine half way and it starts to smell! I rarely ever even throw food out into it because it starts to bother me. does anyone have any cleaning/tips on how to fix this problem? I don't like wasting so many trash bags.

BabyMama

Scrub out the pail and then when dry sprinkle some baking soda on the bottom. Cleaning it will def get rid of odors.

Allie

Put a tablespoon (or a good sprinkle if that's easier) of regular 'ol baking soda in the trash bag. If the odor remains, there is probably food residue on or near the can itself. You can wipe it down (inside and out) using a cloth/paper towel dampened with water and dishwashing liquid. I've got into the habit of doing that every time I change the bag. Good times.

BabyMama

~~I think the best defense is making sure it has a lid. Rubbermaid makes great step on types and they close snug, no odors come out. I keep our lid and all the crooks and crannies throughout the can and lid scrubbed. These seem to take care of the problems cause we do not smell anything from ours and believe me it is well used!~~

Allie

You can buy trash bags that are impregnated with a vanilla scent. This helps to mask the trash smells. But I think the best is to just take the trash out each day. I know it seems a waste, but it is really the only way to avoid unpleasant odors.

Rachel

Get a smaller trash can and use smaller bags so you have to take it out more often. More often = not as much time to smell and the problem is solved.

Tamra

Presumably you line the bin with a plastic bag (either reusing a supermarket bag or special purchased ones), then, if you empty the bin every night and wash the inside of the bin when necessary you should not have any smells. I presume also that you have a lid on the bin because if not the air will start to rot the contents.

Go out and get a couple of those FRIDGE IT activated carbon odor absorbers and just hang/clip onto trash can. I had terrible problems with trash can smell and tried lots of things. Finally heard about this product and tried it. I'm thrilled and glad I found it. Strongly recommend it for trash and other areas too. Find it in kitchen gadget stores and online at www.innofresh.com.