12 ounces chocolate chips, divided
1 tablespoon shortening
1 cup flour
2 tablespoons sugar
1/2 cup butter or margarine
1/2 cup coconut flakes
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
8 ounces cream cheese, softened
1 cup confectioner's sugar
8 ounces Cool Whip®, thawed
21 ounces cherry pie filling
2 packages instant vanilla pudding
2 1/2 cups milk
1. In small saucepan over low heat, heat 1/2 cup chocolate chips with shortening until melted and smooth, stirring frequently. Pour chocolate mixture into foil-lined 10 oz custard cup to make chocolate curls later. Cover and refrigerate.
2. Preheat oven to 350F.
3. In medium bowl, mix flour and sugar. Cut in butter or margarine until mixture is crumbly. Stir in coconut and walnuts. Press crumb mixture evenly into bottom of 9x13-inch pan.
4. Bake 12-15 minutes until crust is light golden brown. Cool.
5. In large bowl, beat cream cheese and confectioners sugar until smooth; fold in 1 cup Cool Whip. Spread cream cheese mixture over cooled crust, top with cherry pie filling. Cover and refrigerate.
6. Melt remaining chocolate chips in small saucepan over low heat, stirring frequently, until melted and smooth. Set aside to cool.
7. In large bowl, with wire whisk, beat both packages of pudding with milk until thickened. Beat in melted chocolate. Carefully spread pudding mixture over cherry filling, chill at least 2 hours.
8. Spread remaining Cool Whip over pudding. Peel off foil from molded chocolate in custard cup. Using a vegetable peeler, shave chocolate to form curls. Sprinkle over top of dessert.