The Sour and Spicy Brinjal or Baigan Khatta is a typical bengali veg dish that is not only is easy to prepare but also tastes real yummy. This is a dry dish mainly served for dinner with Roti or Paratha. It takes only 30mins to cook this dish.
* 5-6 very small sized brinjals
* Turmeric Powder
* Red Chilli Powder
* Dry Red Chilli
* Garlic Paste
* Coriander Powder
* Cumin Powder
* Vegetable Oil
Preparation Time: 10mins
Cooking Time: 20mins
1. For each brinjal, cut it into 4 pieces from the opposite side of the Danti (green end of the stem where Brinjals are cut off) but do not complete separate the 4 pieces, leave the end of the Danti joined. So you will have 1 small brinjal split into 4 at one end and joined at the other. Also do not completely cutoff the Danti, leave some on the brinjal.
2. Put salt and turmeric inside the brinjal splits (and also some on the outside) and fry in vegetable oil, till the brinjals are soft but not completely cooked. Keep aside the fried brinjals.
3. In another non-stick frying pan, put a small quantity (1 teaspoon) panchforan (mixture of 5 spices), dry red chilli into warm vegetable oil.
4. When the panchforan starts to splatter, put a thick mixture of 2 tablespoon of coriander powder, 1 tablespoon of cumin powder, 3/4th tablespoon of powdered red chilli (up-to taste), 1 tablespoon of turmeric powder, 1 tablespoon of garlic paste, 1 tablespoon of salt (as per taste) and water (not much, just enough to make the paste thick).
5. Fry the spices (Step 4) till oil comes out with nice smell. Keep adding very small quantities of water if it becomes too dry.
6. Now put the fried brinjals (Step 1) in the frying pan and also put 1 cup of water (enough to half-submerge the brinjals).
7. Add 0.5 inch cube of tamarind in warm water and dissolve it completely. Put this liquid to the frying pan (Step 6) mix well and cover the frying pan. Cook for 10-15mins in low-medium heat. Put water if it becomes too dry. But do not put too much water as this dish is a dry one.
8. When the brinjals become soft, taste the thick gravy for any additional requirements (salt, red chilli powder).
The Sour and Spicy (Baigan Khatta) is now ready to serve with Roti, Paratha or Puri.