10 pounds fresh or frozen rhubarb
88 ounces granulated sugar
6 ounces quick-cooking tapioca
2 teaspoons salt
3 tablespoons grated orange peel
7 pounds Pastry for Two-Crust Pies
5 ounces margarine, melted
1. If fresh rhubarb is used, wash and trim. Do not peel. Cut in 1-inch pieces.
2. Combine sugar, tapioca, salt and orange peel and stir into rhubarb. Let stand 30 minutes.
3. Make pastry. Divide into 9-oz balls for bottom crust, 7-oz balls for top crust. Roll and place bottom crusts in seven 9-inch pie pans, 9 oz per pan. For 8-inch pies, see Notes.
4. Portion 2 lb 4 oz filling into each unbaked crust. Distribute margarine over filling in each pie. Moisten edges with cold water. Cover with top crust or pastry strips. Press edges together.
5. Bake at 400°F for 35 minutes or until crust is golden brown and fruit is tender.
Yield: 7 7/8 inch pies
Notes: For eight 8-inch pies, make 4 lb 8 oz dough for crusts and portion into 5 oz for bottom crust and 4 oz for top crust. Scale 1 lb 14 oz filling per pie.
8 oz cornstarch or 5 oz waxy maize starch may be substituted for the tapioca.