5 pounds all-purpose flour
1 1/2 ounces salt
4 ounces granulated sugar
2 ounces nonfat dry milk
1 1/2 ounces active dry yeast (see notes)
1 1/2 quarts warm water (110°F)
4 ounces shortening
12 ounces chopped onions
1 ounce shortening or oil
2 quarts tomato juice
1 quart tomato paste
2 ounces granulated sugar
1 tablespoon dried oregano, crumbled
2 tablespoons dried basil, crumbled
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon black pepper
3 bay leaves
9 pounds ground beef
1 tablespoon salt
1 teaspoon fennel seed
1 teaspoon paprika
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon dried oregano, crumbled
1 tablespoon dried basil, crumbled
1. DOUGH: Place flour, salt, sugar, and dry milk in mixer bowl. Mix on low speed, using dough hook.
2. Soften yeast in warm water.
3. Add softened yeast and shortening to dry ingredients. Mix on low speed to form dough. Continue kneading until smooth and elastic. Cover and let rise until double in bulk, about 2 hours.
4. Punch down dough and let rest 45 minutes.
5. PIZZA SAUCE: Cook onions in fat until transparent. Add tomatoes, sugar, and seasonings. Heat to boiling. Reduce heat and simmer 30-45 minutes. Cool. Remove bay leaves. Spread sauce over dough, 1 qt per 18x26-inch pan or 1-1 1/4 cups per 14-inch round pan.
6. SEASONED BEEF: Brown beef in steam-jacketed kettle or pan until internal temperature reads 155°F for 15 seconds. Drain well. Add seasonings, stirring to distribute. Sprinkle evenly over tomato sauce, approximately 1 lb 8 oz per 18x26x1-inch pan, 8 oz per 14-inch round pan.
pepperoni (arranged evenly over the top), and 3 oz mozzarella cheese.
Triple Cheese Pizza. Layer in the following order: 10 oz sauce, 8 oz shredded mozzarella cheese, 4 oz shredded Monterey Jack cheese, and 4 oz shredded cheddar cheese.
Garden Pizza. Layer in the following order: 10 oz sauce; 6 oz shredded mozzarella cheese; 2 oz shredded cheddar cheese; 1 oz each of diced green peppers, sliced canned mushrooms, diced onion, and sliced ripe olives.
ASSEMBLY AND BAKING:
2. Spread 1 qt sauce over dough.
3. Sprinkle 1 lb 8 oz seasoned beef over sauce.
4. Top each pan with 1 lb 4 oz mozzarella cheese.
5. Bake at 475°F for 10-20 minutes in a conventional oven.
6. Cut each pan 2x4 and then each of the 8 pieces diagonally, yielding 16 pie-shaped portions per pan (48 slices).
If using 14-inch round pans:
1. Prepare six 14-inch pans by spraying lightly with vegetable spray.
2. Press 1 lb 6 oz dough into pans, allowing 1 inch to extend up sides.
3. Perforate dough with fork or dough docker.
4. Choose pizza topping from Variations and layer in the order given.
5. Bake until crust is browned, sauce is bubbly and cheese is melted.
6. Cut each pizza into 8 slices, yielding 8 portions per pan (48 slices).