1 Sabrett® brand 2 ounce beef frankfurter (7½" long)
1 regular hot dog roll
1 Tablespoon chopped white onion
1/2 Tablespoon Kraft® shredded mild cheddar cheese (optional)
Coney Island sauce:
1 pound ground chuck
1 six ounce can Hunts® tomato paste
1 cup water
1 Tablespoon sugar
1 Tablespoon prepared yellow mustard
1 Tablespoon dried, minced onion
2 teaspoons chili powder
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon celery seed
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin (heaping)
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1. First make the chili dog sauce. In a 2 qt. saucepan, break the ground chuck into very tiny pieces. Cook until browned, seasoning very lightly with
salt and pepper while cooking. Do not drain the fat.
2. Add the remaining ingredients for the sauce. Simmer, uncovered, 30-45 minutes until it thickens. Stir occasionally, as the sauce tends to stick.
3. After 45 minutes, remove from heat. Allow the sauce to cool, then cover and refrigerate until ready to use.
4. To make the chili dog, add water to a large saucepan and bring to a boil.
5. Remove the saucepan from the heat, and add the frankfurters to the water. Cover the pan and let it sit for about 10 minutes.
6. After the 10 minutes, microwave about 3 tablespoons of the chili dog sauce until steaming. Then microwave each hot dog roll for about 10
seconds, just enough to warm.
7. Remove the cooked frank with from the pan with tongs, and place it on a microwaved hot dog roll.
5. Add the prepared A&W® chili dog sauce, then sprinkle with chopped white onion and grated cheddar cheese.