Menu Description: Crispy pastry with savory beef
filling served with seasoned sour cream and
3/4 tsp salt
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 cup vegetable shortening
1/4 cup cold salted butter
1 egg, beaten
1/4 cup whole milk
1/2 pound ground beef (not lean)
1/4 cup diced russet potato
1/4 cup julienned carrot
2 tbsp chopped white onion
1 tsp minced parsley
3/4 tsp curry powder
1/2 tsp paprika
1/4 tsp salt
1/8 tsp ground cayenne pepper
2 tbsp chicken broth
1/2 tsp lemon juice
Seasoned sour cream:
1 cup sour cream
1/4 cup dice tomato (half of a medium tomato)
1 tbsp chopped red onion
1 tbsp minced green bell pepper
1 tsp chopped cilantro
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp ground cayenne pepper
pinch ground cumin
1 cup finely diced Granny Smith apple (half of a large apple)
4 tsp lime juice
1 cup finely diced mango (1 small mango)
1 tbsp minced jalapeno
1 tbsp minced red bell pepper
1 tbsp minced cilantro
1 egg, beaten
4 to 8 cups vegetable shortening (as required by your deep fryer)
1. Make dough by combining salt with flour in a large mixing bowl. Add shortening and cold butter and use a pastry knife or large fork to cut shortening and butter into dry ingredients until fat is completely combined. Add beaten egg and milk and stir to bring ingredients together, and then use your hands to form the dough into a ball. Wrap dough in plastic and pop it in the fridge until the filling is done.
2. Brown the ground beef in a medium saute pan over medium heat. Break meat up into small bits as it cooks (a potato masher works nicely for this.) When the meat is done, pour it out of the pan, strain off fat, then return the fat back to the saute pan.
3. Drop diced potato pieces into a small saucepan of water over medium heat. When the water comes to a boil, drain potato and drop it into the fat in the saute pan along with the carrot and onion. Saute for 3 to 4 minutes over medium heat, and then add the ground beef back into the pan along with the curry powder, paprika, salt, and cayenne pepper. Stir in chicken broth and lemon juice and bring mixture to a simmer for 3 to 4 mintues. Turn off the heat and cover filling while you make the seasoned sour cream and apple-mango salsa.
4. Make seasoned sour cream by combining all ingredients in a
small bowl. Cover and chill.
5. Make apple-mango salsa by combining all ingredients in a medium bowl in the order listed. Cover and chill.
6. When the meat is cool, it's time to fill the dough. Roll out a
portion of the dough on a floured surface until it is very flat.
Use an upside down round plastic storage container with a diameter of approximately 4 1/2 inches to cut out rounds of the dough. Use a brush to paint beaten egg along the edge of half of the dough. This will help to seal the dough. Meaure a heaping tablespoon of filling into the center of the dough, and then fold the dough over and press down along the edge. Force out any extra air when you close the dough. Press down along the edge of the dough with the tines of a fork to seal the dough. When all of the patties have been assembled, cover them and let them freeze for a couple hours to ensure that the seams will hold.
7. Heat 4 to 8 cups of oil or shortening in you deep fryer to 375 degrees F. Fry 4 or 5 patties at a time for 5 to 6 minutes, until golden brown. Flip the patties over as they fry to get both sides evenly browned. Serve patties with a pile of apple-mango salsa and seasoned sour cream on the side in a small bowl.
Makes 6 to 8 appetizer servings.
Source: More Super Secret Restaruant Recipes by Todd Wilbur (Plume, Penguin Group, 2007)