Easy Recipe Finder

Recipe Feeder
This is a form of a meat, and cheese filled pie. Baked in a 8” cake pan.
They are usually made at the Easter season, but can also be made at any time of the year. Everyone uses different ingredients and have their own way of rolling and pan choices. This is basic Calabrese Style ….no Ricotta cheese, but can be added. It becomes wet using the ricotta, and we don’t like it that way. This is great with beer or wine, and is a basic meal in itself. After making these, I am reminded to make them again without fail. They are some work, but well worth the effort.
The basic recipe is a Italian Style of a cheese & meat Pie that was handed down in my family, and this is my own modified recipe, after many tests and texture try’s.
Total time from start to finish is approximately 5 to 6 hours.
Yield is 4 - 8” diameter round pies approx. 1-¾ ” thick.

Recipe to make 4 ( four ) Pies 8” round
Bread Dough

6 Cups All Purpose flour ( I use Gold Medal )
4 tsp. granulated ( packaged ) Yeast
2 Tbsp. Sugar
1 Tbsp. Salt ( fine table salt )
½ Cup Powdered milk granules
1/3 Cup vegetable oil …..+ available oil for oiling raising bowl. Set aside
2- 1/3 Cups (lukewarm) Water
2 Tbs. Instant potato flakes.
Set Aside ….. (2 eggs beaten with a tsp. of granulated sugar for egg wash)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~

Filling

1- stick of pepperoni diced small
½ Lb. Sharp provolone diced small
½ Lb. domestic mild provolone diced small
1-½ Lb. cooked and cooled room temp. Italian hot sausage ….diced
1-¼ Lb. mozzarella cheese diced
2 cloves garlic grated (I use a microplane) or 1 tsp. garlic paste.
6- Hard cooked eggs diced
4- Cups Italian Flavored Bread Crumbs
½ Cup grated Romano Cheese
4- Raw Whole Large Eggs (beaten)
½ tsp. salt
¼ tsp black pepper
1 tsp. dried Oregano
1-¾ Cups of Cold Water
================================================== ===

Mix the filling ahead of time by adding all the ingredients in a large bowl, and mixing thoroughly and then placing in refrigerator covered until dough is prepped and readied to fill the pie plates.
* I usually do the filling the day or night before to lessen the work load.
Then taking out the filling just before prepping the dough. This makes it easier to fill the pies.

Dough preparation

In a mixing bowl such as for a Kitchen Aid Stand Mixer, add 4 cups of the flour…the rest of the dry ingredients and stir all together with a whisk.
Add the wet ingredients ( with the exception of the egg wash that is set aside )..
And with a wooden spoon handle or implement, mix and stir until all dry is absorbed with the liquids. Then add the two remaing cups of flour and stir until the dry ingredients are less likely to puff out when the bowl is set on the machine with a dough hook for kneading.
Set the mixer on the lowest mix setting with a dough hook, and let mix for 1 minute..Stop mixing, and cover the bowl with a towel and let rest for 5 minutes.

Then set the mixer at the 2nd speed selection, and mix for 5 minutes.

Remove dough from bowl; add to a clean oiled bowl, adding a little oil to the top of the dough. Let set and rise until double in size. Approx. 1 hour in a warm draft free area.
Punch dough down, and let rise again.

In the meantime…grease and flour 4- 8” round cake pans.

Pie Assembly

When dough is ready and proofed… place the dough on a lightly oiled surface, and divide into four equal portions. I use a large knife and cut down. Then from each portion, remove and separate ¼ of that to be used for a top for each pie. Cover the dough portions with a towel for later use.
Roll out the larger piece onto a lightly oiled 14” round pizza pan. This makes the task much easier instead of rolling on a pastry sheet gauge. Remember…the dough will tend to shrink toward center…and a final 12” diameter is fine, and normal.

Transfer the rolled out dough to the first cake pan carefully, and form the dough to the bottom and insides as well as possible without tearing.
The dough will hang over the edges of the pan and shrinking will be frustrating and you will have to sometimes re-adjust the dough till it settles in a sort of equal final rest. This can be, and to me, is the most frustrating part of the whole process. But well worth it end the final product.

The best thing is to now turn over the filling on a flat surface, and divide that in 4 equal batches.

In the first dough prepped pan…brush a coating of the egg wash carefully on the bottom. This seals the bottom, and prevents a soggy crust bottom. Now place the portioned ¼ filling in the pan and with the fingers, mash and carefully even out the pile of filling. Wet fingers lightly with water if filling sticks.
Take the smaller ¼ piece, and roll that out to about 6” diameter circle, and place on the top of the pan with filling using the fingers to sort of even and stretch it a little. Don’t forget, there is the dough hanging over the sides that is going to be flipped up and pushed over the top edges of the assembled pie. By now, the final pie will be closed with thicker edges of approx. 1” of foldover. Just press it down for now. Take your time, and carefully add a coating of the egg wash on the top. Make 4 or 5 slit holes on top, and sort of spread them to keep them open.

OK…set that pie aside and out of the way. Now you get to play and practice on the second third, and fourth pies. Have patience.

At this time….turn on the oven to 350°F and let it preheat.

Assemble the remaining pies, and after the last one, you will have mastered the way to fill and roll out and form the pies.
If the dough gets so out of control that tearing occurs, a little sprinkle of flour and re-rolling can be done again.
I use a small mini roller with a “T” handle as a handle. It’s called a pastry roller. I just oil it a little for assurance it doesn’t stick to the dough, and cause the dough to lift and roll around the pin roller.
It happens, but as it goes on, you will master the tecnique!

Bake the pies at 350°F on the centermost rack for approx 1 hour. Set timer for 40 minutes, and start checking from that point.
The tops should be browned but not to the point where they turn toward blackening. You can see that the filling inside will start to bubble through the slit vent holes. That’s ok, because everything in the pie is already cooked, but the basic trend, is to have the cheese melt inside, and the tops brown as much as possible without burning.

Usually they are done within a hour of baking.

When done…place the pies on a wire rack for 5 minutes to cool before removing. A thin knife may help running around the finished pie, and then a shake, should loosen the pie from the pan. Remove and set upside down to cool completely to room temperature .

After cooled completely…I cover with towels, and let set another 2 hours. To package….I place each pie on a paper plate, or folded paper towels on the bottom, and slide into a gallon size plastic freezer or storage baggie. They can be frozen up to a month. To thaw, just place in the regular refrigerator over a day, or at room temperature for 4 hours.

If storing unfinished pie, change the paper towel if it gets damp. This is normal if the pie is not finished all at once. Pie can be kept refrigerated for up to 5 days.

Enjoy!