4 squab, whole
16 fresh basil leaves
1 pint White Wine Marinade
salt and pepper, to taste
6 ounces basil butter
1. Remove the backbone and breast bone from each squab. The birds will lie flat and remain in one piece.
2. Make a slit below each leg and tuck the leg bone into the slit.
3. Carefully slide two basil leaves under the skin over each breast to cover the meat.
4. Marinate the squab in the white wine marinade for 1-2 hours.
5. Heat and prepare the grill.
6. Remove the squab from the marinade and pat dry.
7. Melt approximately 4 ounces (120 grams) of the basil butter, leaving enough for eight thin slices to be served with the finished dish.
8. Brush the squab with basil butter and place it skin side down on the grill. Grill the squab, turning once and basting periodically with the melted basil butter. Finish in the oven if necessary.
9. Serve the squab with a slice of basil butter melting over each breast.