1 ounce Cocoa powder, alkalized
2 fluid ounces Water, warm
10 milliliters Vanilla extract
12 fluid ounces Granulated sugar
3 1/2 ounces Cake flour, sifted
1/4 teaspoon Salt
1 pound Egg Whites
2 teaspoons Cream of tartar
Yield: 1 Cake
1. Combine the cocoa powder and water in a bowl. Add the vanilla and set aside.
2. In another bowl, combine 5 ounces (150 grams) of the sugar with the flour and salt.
3. Whip the egg whites until foamy, add the cream of tartar and beat to soft peaks. Gradually beat in the remaining sugar. Continue beating until the egg whites are stiff but not dry.
4. Whisk a very large spoonful of the whipped egg whites into the cocoa mixture. Fold this into the remaining egg whites.
5. Sift the dry ingredients over the whites and fold in quickly but gently.
6. Pour the batter into an ungreased tube pan and smooth the top with a spatula. Bake immediately at 350°F (180°C) until the cake springs back when lightly touched and a cake tester comes out clean, approximately 40 to 50 minutes. The cake's surface will have deep cracks.
7. Remove the cake from the oven and immediately invert the pan onto the neck of a bottle. Allow the cake to rest upside down until completely cool.
8. To remove the cake from the pan, run a thin knife or spatula around the edge of the pan and the edge of the interior tube. If a two-piece tube pan was used, the cake and tube portion are lifted out of the pan. Use a knife or spatula to loosen the bottom of the cake, and then invert it onto a cake cardboard or serving platter.
9. Yield: 1 Tube Cake, 10 In.
Notes: Method: Egg Foam
Vanilla Angel Food Cake -- Omit the cocoa powder and warm water from the formula. Increase the amount of vanilla extract to 1/2 fluid ounce (15 milliliters/4%) and fold it in at the end of Step 5.
Lemon Angel Food Cake -- Omit the cocoa powder and warm water from the formula. Add 0.3 fluid ounces (2 teaspoons/10 milliliters/2.5%) fresh lemon zest to the sugar and flour mixture. Add 0.15 fluid ounces (1 teaspoon/5 milliliters/1.25%) lemon extract, folding it and the vanilla extract in at the end of Step 5.