ANY GOOD TIPS TO PASS ON WHILE WE ARE HAVING OUR KITCHEN REMODELED?

BabyMama

THIS IS THE FIRST TIME WE HAVE EVER DONE SOMETHING LIKE THIS AND IT IS A LITTLE SCARY! WE WANT AS LOW STRESS AS POSSIBLE.

Mama

Spend as much time as you can on-site while the work is done; there are many preferences in how things are installed and how the work is done that could use your input. If you are not there, then the contractor or sub-contractor will do what they prefer or what is easiest. The worker may try to ask you though and if you aren't easily available, then the work will be held up. Try to be there to answer questions and make sure that quality work is done. You'll be glad you did!

xxBabygirlxx

Have a separate room set up for temporarily storing items from your kitchen, and a table for cooking on, if your remodel is that extensive that you won't be able to use your kitchen at all. Use a thick plastic sheet (3mil.+) to block dust into other rooms. You can buy zippers to attach to the plastic to allow for easy entry/exit to the work area

Paytons Mommy

1) You probably won't have access to some or all of it for a while so have a good back up eating plan, 2) Make sure whoever is doing the kitchen for you opens every box when it arrives and it is exactly what you ordered otherwise later on you could be stuck, 3) Realize sometimes changes may have to be made. If so, don't be forced into anything. Take enough time to think it over. Good luck.

Allie

I'm not sure how far you're going.... I am doing a kitchen remodeling in a 100 year old home. They say that beauty is only skin deep but ugly goes clean to the bone... While this was meant to consider the depth of human beauty, It can also be true of this kind of work. When I peeled the lath and plaster off the walls to erect hanging boards for the new cabinets, I found three old squirrel nests, and structural bug damage that might have never been discovered til something fell in. However, it gave me the opportunity to do a complete rewiring (I'll never have to worry about the safety or adequacy of old wiring), I got to insulate the walls properly with a vapor barrier, but most importantly, I was able to add fire-blocks to the balloon framed room. Previously animals could get from the crawl space to the second floor, as could fire... but no more!