how do i stop a friend from being bulimic?

Rachel

okay, so my best friend is bulimic. and she's already skinny as it is. but in her eyes she's fat. i cant get through to her that she's not fat, at all. so she just doesn't listen to me, and she used to be really healthy, she would go running a lot and try to eat right foods. but now instead of eating right foods she eats a lot of bad but not TOO bad for you food, and then she throws it up because she feels so fat. she told me everything she does, is how i know. so last night she told me that she's been doing it all this week, but she didn't do it for the other last two weeks. so she does it, but she doesn't at times. but i still do think that it's bad to even do it in the first place. & i made her promise last night that she won't do it again, but we've promised before and she broke it cuz she was "addicted" i feel like i can stop her, but i just dont know how. we're both only 15 and she thinks that if she's "fat" guys won't like her. but that's not true. One thing i told her i was going to do was that if she continues to do this, i'm going to tell her parents, just for her safety. but she begged me not to, and i havn't (so far) because i dont know if thats the best thing to do. and i dont want to lose her trust. i know that might sound stupid but there just has to be another way...hopefully. Another bad thing is that she has another friend that's not so much my friend, but she's encouraging my best friend to do it. (she also does it) & both of them are not fat. and it really pisses me off about how the other girl is just letting her do that when they're "friends" (in my eyes i dont think that true friends should encourage them to do such horrible things) so im begging you for your help. please. she even thinks that she's "killing herself very slowly"...which she is... so please help,thank you.

LaDy In ReD

Hey hun, Please tell her parents. My best friend is 26 and bulimic. She has many health problems now becasue she started when she was your age. No one was around to tell her parents so they couldn't help her. My best friend has teeth that fall out, her kidneys have failed almost twice, she will not eat in front of people and cannot stop. This is a serious disease and it needs attention right away. You should not be afraid of losing her trust because you are just trying to be a real friend. Do the right thing and save her life.

Kara

Tell her it's going to rot her teeth because of her stomach acid being exposed to her teeth. I would much rather have a girl that has a few extra pounds with a good personality and good teeth than some skinny bulimic chick with yellow rotting teeth....... tell her that.Tell her to stop being so paranoid, live life for yourself, not to impress others.

DinnerTonight

HiI know how you feel, and from experience I have to tell you that she is going to have to fight bulimia for a long time...and it is `n hard battle. I had Anorexia 4 years ago and still battle to tell myself to eat more. You see, your friend isn't thinking logically anymore...when bulemia takes over she would stop thinking on her own...and no amount of pleading and helping from your side will fix her...because these diseases have a mind of their own... I suggest you tell her parents or get professional help from a psychologist. Believe me, she might dislike you after doing this..but this is the only way you will be able to help her. If you leave it ..she will die..eventually. I remember when I had anorexia my friends told me to eat more, or to stop thinking I was so fat...I was literally skin and bone then...and u know what I thought..I thought my friends were jealous! When they booked me an appointment with a psycologist, I finally realized that something was wrong. You will have to act quickly...as the treatment they give bulimics/anorexics takes a while to start working....it took me 2 full years to recover...and I sustained permanent physical damage due to the disease...only now I am in a happy place...married with a wonderful husband that doesn't give a hoot about my suposed diets...he buys me chocolates and calles me beautiful. So please do the right thing...get help! let me know how it goes...you can contact me any time.