how does radiation works when you have cancer? Do you get sick like you would with chemo?

ophelia f

My aunt right leg is swollen and was told that a cancer mass is blocking her veins causing the swelling. Radiation is a option. So is surgery.

First Lady

I'm sorry to hear that. My mom went through both and it seemed that the raditation was worse than chemo, but she was just beat after radiation.

charisse t

radiation is used to kill cancer cell so therefore it will keep the cancer from growing any further. I had chem, surgery, then radiation and i was told no guarantees with radiation but it was to try and stop the growth of any more cells spreading. Sorry to hear about your aunt, will say a prayer for her.

Savannah

I would have to say radiation is about the same or worse than chemo but really that would all depend on the chemo, as well as how long or how much "grey" was used in radiation. Chemo can be many types of different medicines or regimens. Radiation can vary as well in length and strengths. Every case and person is different. It would be wisest to list these questions and your concerns and ask the doctor on your next visit. Good luck!!! God Bless!

Simmi

It might vary for where it is done. The biggest side effect has been a burn. Mine is on the neck. I can feel me swallowing, but it is going down.