Chef

Administrator
Staff member
Not exactly a traditional Yule/Christmas dish, but it's red, white, and green, so it fits.

FILLING:
(stuffs about ten manicotti "tubes")
1 pound/450g firm tofu, drained and rinsed
1 10-oz/300g box frozen spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
1 Tbsp. Italian seasoning (blend of oregano, marjoram, thyme, rosemary, basil, sage)
3 green onions (scallions), including green part, sliced thinly
8 ounces/230g (more or less) white button mushrooms, chopped in big chunks

PASTA:
1 package large manicotti tubes

SAUCE:
About 28 ounces/750g of your favorite pasta sauce, homemade or prepackaged

Plop tofu into a medium-sized mixing bowl and mash/crumble with your hands. Add spinach and
fold into tofu with a fork, using fork to break up strands of spinach and mix evenly with the
crumbled tofu. Stir in Italian seasoning, onions, and mushrooms.
Boil about 10 manicotti tubes just shy of al dente (they won't fall apart this way when you're
stuffing them) and drain. Use your fingers to push clumps of filling into the manicotti tubes till
each one is plump and full. Lay them in a covered casserole dish (more than one layer is O.K.)
and pour your favorite tomato-based pasta sauce (homemade or bottled) over the whole thing.
Cover and bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for about an hour, maybe a little less (say, 45 minutes)
if you have the manicotti spread out in a single layer. Remove from oven and give it a few
minutes to cool off before attempting to eat.

Note:
I have to keep my sodium intake low, so I don't add salt to anything I make from scratch
(except some baked goods), so some of you might prefer to add a. 1/2 teaspoon of salt to the
filling.