How do i start to tear out my old kitchen cabinets?

Paytons Mommy

I am moving into an old torn up house. The structure is fine, but it's nasty inside and i am going to make it over. but i want to start with the kitchen since it's the nastiest. Can you give me some tips. On everything if possible, but i really want to know how to tear out the whole kitchen cabinets, top and bottom. Thanks

FallenAngel

Start be taking the doors and drawers off and out. Next locate the screws that hold the units together they will be in the rails at the reinforced sides then take out the screws that hold the cabinets to the wall. It is good to have someone to help. After the screws are out they may still stick to the walls because of caulk or paint. Wear safety glasses and steel toed shoes. You will not believe how much a 10 lb. cabinet hurts when it falls and strikes you on the toe.

Allie

remove all the doors first... if your not going to save anything just tear them off... then the upper cabinets are most likely screwed to the wall from the inside top of the cabinets... just unscrew and be careful... they will fall... the bottom cabinets just demo with a sledge hammer and wrecking bar... easier to dump in pieces... good luck, it's actually fun...

Allie

is there any way to clean the actual cupboards and just replace the doors and drawer fronts.......that would save you tons of money and work..........you can take them down, look inside your cupboard and you will see where they are screwed in,i wouldnt do this alone as they will fall......hope this helps.sorry about the typing, broke my wrist, using one finger.

Rachel

Depending on the age of your house you'll find one of two types of cabinets: manufactured and site-built. The previous posts cover manufactured cabinets, which are essentially a series of boxes connected together. Once removed, they can be reused if they're in good shape. If the cabinets were built on-site by a carpenter , they probably CAN'T be reused because you'll destroy them during removal. Remove doors & drawers, then look for screws/nails other fasteners that hold everything else together and chip away at those best as you can. My experience is that you basically have to take site-built cabinets apart piece by piece.