yarrowfh

im growing basil in my bathroom the only room that gets full sunlight . its kind of cold cause the vent in there was permenatly shut . it has a tall cealing . the pot that im growing it in is a cooking pot that i cant use its to thin and scorches food so ive never used it . there are no holes in the pot i water it every day and i put the seeds in 1/4inch deep like the package says to do . and its been past the 7 day gestation period . so how come i have not seen and thing at all yet? is it possible that i have over watered it ? i use a beer glass 2times a day filld with water . so whats going on. also the bathroom dose not get that much heat in it but should that matter? any tips would be helpfull any at all . this is my first time trying to grow anything inside ive always done it in my garden at my moms farm and now i liv in the city . i dont use city water i use botteld water. i figure if i wont drink the tap water why should my bail .

samfrio

You don't need sunlight to start seeds; but it really helps to have a warm spot. Cover that pot with some plastic (such as saran wrap with some small holes in it) and set it on top of the fridge or another warm spot. Once it sprouts, remove the plastic and then put them in a sunny spot. I really don't understand why you would need to be watering every day. It would seem your seeds would be underwater by now. If your soiled is soaked, start over. If not, give it some time - but remember, they may never germinate if too cold. Once they sprout, you will need to transplant them after a few weeks. You cannot grow plants in a pot with no drainage.

Kimberly

I am not surprised your basil is not growing. First off nothing will germinate if it is not warm. You are over watering it and it has no drainage so it sounds like it should be swimming by now. Go to a local garden shop and get a pot with drainage and put a saucer under it. Before you water it put your finger in to the first knuckle. If it is wet leave it alone, You could start seeds on your TV as it gets warm but do not spill water or you will have worse problems. If you start again then cover it with saran wrap to keep the moisture in until they are germinated and growing. You can do this.......