Is there a difference between autism and an autistic disorder in children or are they the same?

Sharpnessa

Are ADHD children getting mis-diagnosed? Is there such a disorder called "autistic disorder" that mimics ADHD? Or is autism all the same at different levels of severity?

Leswonder

I don't know much about the definitions of autistic spectrum disorders but I have supported children with autism and aspergers.My boy has ADHD. I notice many aspergers tendancies in him and so do a lot of the other people I speak to on my ADHD forums (in there own children).My boy is sensitive to his clothes and sound.Is uninteltionally rude and lacks empathy.His vocabulary is great yet makes mistakes when using words related to emotion.He obsessess over things and used to line up his toys.He likes to know what is going to happen each day in order.His drawings are very similar to those I have seen from some autistic childrenHe makes the same shreiking noise.Many of the ADHD parents I talk to say their children have the same troubles. Yet my boy doesn;t apear to be even aspergers as he has a wicked sense of humour and can charm ladies he meets with a twinkle in his eye and sometimes a wink!My boys ADHD people explaine dhow ADHD causes all these things and it kind of made sense but I am not totally convinced.Some austistic kids can be hyperactive too. I think there is allso confusion regarding ADHD with dyslexia, dyspraxia, OCD and Tourettes. I am waiting for experst to realise that all conditions mentioned in this post are related and the child should be concidered and treated according to their own unique 'symptoms' rather than trying to figure out which box they fit into best.They would need an awfull lot of boxes to be accurate!

Karma Happens

All autistics share what is called the triad of impairments...being lack of eye contact, repetitive movements, and social 'impediments'. Other than that each autistic child is like a snow flake, all of them are unique and each has their own set of issues unique to them. Autism has many levels of severity. Aspergers is a form of high functioning autism. ADHD is a totally different disorder but many autistics share add/adhd diagnosis. Autism is referred to as a spectrum disorder simply because no one child is the same as the other. But to answer your question to be diagnosed as autistic the triad of impairments must be met. Autistic tendencies could fall under another diagnosis that many autistics share PDD-NOS (pervasive developmental disorder not otherwise specified)