Do you know of a site or have tips about fencing for a multiple dog household?

Happy Rat

My parents have finally decided to fence in our back yard - we've got two medium sized dogs and a few more small dogs who act like they're training to be in the olympics already. We know that they'll be capable and likely willing to jump a 4 foot fence, my father think's a 5 foot fence won't make much difference and he prefers to just take his chances and whichever dogs jump over go back to being chained up when they go outside, which I strongly dissaggree with.Right now we're looking at a pro coming in to do a chain link fence - my question being: How will the person compensate for the gaps around the gate and where the fence meets the house? I can't wrap my head around that and the guy didn't say because every other chain link fence I've ever seen has a 5-7 inch gap all the way around the gate and between any posts close to the house, where our dogs could and would get out of? Do you know of any websites where I can find pictures of chainlink fences that don't have that problem?

rmbrruffian

If you're doing a chain link fence, you need to know that dogs will CLIMB chain link. When I was young, we had a miniature poodle who used to climb the fence all the time. Not every dog will figure it out, but some do. And, to be honest, I think you're overthinking the gap thing. Talk with the fence installer. Not all fences are installed with gaps that size.

Snow Blossom

Tell the guy installing it to fill the gaps. I've never seen a professionally istalled chailink fence that had gaps in it the way you are describing. Usually the posts are cemented into the ground and a botton footing is poured the whole way around.I agree about the climbing. There is no way I'd choose chainlink for my dogs at least! My dogs would be over that in a heart beat. They use the links as ladders. I put up six foot vinyl fencing and it's just too darned slippery for them to get up the sides.