Does anyone have any tips to make moving out less stressful?

Mama

Hi there! I may be moving out of my first apartment very soon, and I was wondering if anyone can give me some tips as to what I should do to prepare for the move. I don't have a lot of stuff, but you always think that until you start to organize things. I don't have any furniture to move, because this place is furnished. Should I pack things according to each room first, like say do all the kitchen packing at once, etc. Also, what are some things that landlords look for as in damaged things, ya know little things that they could hold your deposit for? Any help and tips are greatly appreciated.

AmandaSue

Recruit friends to help you pack, move, and unpack. Estimate how long the process will take, and then add a few hours as padding just in case. Are you already able to access the new apartment? Prior to the move, try to have some essentials setup in the new apartment, like drinks in the fridge, towels and a curtain for the shower, and lights. You won't want to be hunting for stuff you need right away after you are exhausted from moving all day.Hopefully your landlord will give you a checklist of items to look for when you move in. Bring a camera with you to document your findings.

AmandaSue

Pack "first few days" boxes-- mark them well-- include towels, washcloths, bath rug, sheets, bath soap, shampoo, new toothbrush, comb-- you have the drift-- be as complete as you can. In fact, I'd start with what's needed to go to bed, get up and get ready for work--- Do another for the kitchen-- needed immediately-- plates, coffee cup, coffee pot, silver, glasses, skillet, knives, -- plan your first few meals so you have needed utensils-- ask friends what they need to make ?? meal and serve it-- being very particular. Where is the bed you'll be sleeping in..... , when does it get there.... good luck

Allie

Moving can be one of the most stressfull things in life. But it can be overcome. My wife and I have moved twelve times in ten years,and we got better at it each time. First thing is to decide what your going to need in between moving from one place to the next.Such as personal hygene items , a change of clothes, your personal information. ID, SS card,passport, things like that. Put this stuff in a bag, or suitcase and keep it with you. things can get lost easily in a move. LIke you said. "pack things according to each room" Thats the best way to do it. start with the rooms that have the stuff you don't use that often, like the spare rooms. get boxes that fit your stuff. Wrap up all your breakable stuff in newspaper, or bubble wrap. Keep simular shaped items together, such as movies,tapes cd's. Tape the boxes tight. and label them with the contents. Landlords usually look at the things that are going to have to be replaced if its unfixable. If its nothing major you can probaly fix it your self. use your rental agreement form the one that has the condion of the property. make sure things are the same as when you moved in. I took pictures of the places I lived in before and after to avoid any problems that might of come up. then i'd have proof. Make sure the place is clean and smells good and good luck!