1/2 tsp dried oregano
1/2 tsp marjoram
1 tsp dried basil
2 - 3 anchovy filets
hot sauce
olive oil
salt and pepper to taste

Procedure

Dump the cans of tomato into a big soup pot. Put over low heat. Add the bay leaf, oregano [ it's not just for pizza ] and basil. Splash in a few drops of hot sauce. Mash the anchovies a bit and add them to the pot.

In a large heavy skillet sweat the onion and bell pepper in a couple tablespoons of olive oil, with a pinch of kosher salt. When the onions start getting soft add the garlic, cook for another minute or two. Scorched garlic is not tasty.

Add the sweated veggies to the soup pot. In the same skillet, brown the sausage. If using links, remove the casings and crumble in the skillet. When brown add to the soup pot.

Deglaze the skillet with the red wine, reduce a few minutes, dump that in. Simmer for about an hour.

Peel and clean the shrimp, cut them into halves or thirds, depending on size. You just want pieces that aren't so big they'll fall off the spoon.
Put the shrimp pieces into the soup pot, simmer for 5 minutes or so until the shrimp turn opaque.

Ladle into bowls and serve.

Notes

For the sausage, take your pick of sweet, spicy, whatever. I generally use a product from a local grinder, Tuscan red wine sausage. No fennel, but extra garlic and black pepper. Great stuff. I keep meaning to try adding some fennel to this recipe, haven't done so yet.

Regarding the bell pepper- green is the usual color for ciopinno style soups, but my wife [ SWMBO ] prefers the milder, sweeter flavor of red.

You can use precooked shrimp if that's what is available. Generally when using raw, shell-on shrimp I use the shells to make a quick shrimp stock and add it in. It does add a bit more depth of flavor. And if other shellfish at the market looks good, feel free to experiment. Scallops, clams, crab, lobster will all work. I've never tried octopus in this recipe. Just don't overcook the shellfish to the point where it is tough and chewy.

The marjoram/oregano mix is up to you, it's not like there's a drastic difference between the two.