What is the chance of an adult (over 20, never had it before) of getting chickenpox?

titanic0703

What are the symptoms of chickenpox in adults? Are they different from those of children? Are they more dangerous or milder? What do other adults in the same household need to do to prevent from getting it if someone in the family get infected with chickenpox?What treatments are available at home after exposed to it?I'm getting it now at 24, but the symptoms are very mild. Beside all ichy, the red spots all over my body (especially on my face, neck, and trunk), and a mild sore throat, I did not have any other symptom. Is that "NORMAL" for chickenpox because I did not go to any doctor?By the way, how long would it last for an adult like us? Is there any special diet that we have to follow (I'm a vegan)! Thanks for all your answers!

Mirmir

I was 21 years old (actually my 21st b-day) when I got them :( It was so horrible, I was feverish and had to be in the hospital because they were in my lungs, throat, and every other place.. Worst time of my life.. they say it's more dangerous as you get older to get them.. I caught them from my 3 year old daughter at the time.. She of course was fine.. ran around like there was nothing wrong with her and barely had any symptoms besides the red bumps.

Kermit

I think its fairly high. I got it in my late 30's, my brother who lives in a completely different country got it in his early 30's.There are some pretty good drugs now to make the whole thing pretty mild.Children today, receive vaccines and so will not typically get it.

jomama

Calamine lotion will help with the itch .Put it on all the spots. I was 18 when i had it . I also had it every where, in the throat and mouth and every other place . my fever was so bad that i was halusinateing and i saw red everywhere.Take tylenol for your fever.

pandora08120405

I HAD NEVER HAD THE CHICKENPOX UNTIL I WAS 17 YEARS OLD EVEN THOUGH THE DR SAID IT WAS RARE FOR PEOPLE OVER THE AGE OF 7 TO GET THEM IT DOES HAPPEN.AND YOU DO NEED TO GO TO THE DR BECAUSE OF THE RISK OF HIGH FEAVERS AND OTHER COMPUCATIONS

moatie

Chicken pox is extremely infectious...so if you have never had chickenpox and are in a room with a kid who has chickenpox, and you breath the same air...there is a good chance you will get itthere are many little redspot diseases...chicken pox has little fluid filled blisters that crust over. it usually lasts 7-10 days

Venus__27

First thing, call your doctor. (Call first, before going in. It's very contagious!)I was a few years younger when I got chickenpox and was miserable with the itch. Typically if you are not experiancing any trouble breathing or swallowing, you'll just have to wait it out. (1 week or so).Try oatmeal and milk baths, benadryl to help sleep, and stay away from the young ones that haven't had it.It's a real pain (pardon the pun) but your body will handle it. Be sure to check with your doctor though!!Best of luck!