How do I get my radiation levels tested? And do you think I'm at a risk for cancer?

Savannah

I've had an abdominal x ray, abdominal CT scan and and MRI in the past few weeks. In a few more weeks I have to go back in for another CT scan. I'm worried about the risk of cancers...I know the MRI puts you at risk. How do they go about radiation testing? And do you think 3 times is enough to make it necessary to get tested?Oh really? I thought the MRI's were the worst! Well that sucks I have to keep getting the CT scans :(

Rori

I had cancer like 5 years ago and i had all of these scans over 10 times and I'm in remission I don't think you have that much of a risk (the cancer wasn't from the scans)

froggyvrg

You can't get radiation levels tested after the fact. You need a dosimeter on you all the time. MRIs are okay--they are NO RISK! CT scans and standard X-Rays are the problem. Ask if you can receive another MRI instead of a CT scan, since you've already have a CT scan and x-ray recently.

Bob B

MRI's are fine- they carry no radiation whatsoever.X-rays and CT scans both beam radiation inside you, but not radioactive material, so there's no "radiation level" to test after the scan. The important factor is the total radiation dose you receive.You can always ask your doctor if the scans put you at risk and if they outweigh the benefits of the scan. If the doctors know what they are doing, they shouldn't give you any more scans than are necessary.