Any tips on what to look out for with contractors?

Maryjane

I am doing a $250K addition that involves a new kitchen. Any tips on what to look out for with contractors? Specifically, I want to know what I should look for when selecting a contractor or special tips I should do when putting the contract together so I don't get burned.

AmandaSue

get references go out and look at the additions talk to homeowners get every thing in writing you are looking for a high end remodeler and most get work by word of mouth go out an look for on going additions and the ones you like talk to contractor

AmandaSue

We built a 60K addition on our tiny house. I would have you ask people who they recommend and check references. Call the references, ask if the company went over budget? time window , and personalized contact with them as things progress so if changes need to happen they can before they will cost you more.. I would also check the listing for the company in the Better Business Bureau. Make sure they are licensed to work in your community,and that they have insurance and if they have employees that will work under him on the job that they all are covered. I have received a few calls from our contractor's new clients and ask how he worked out for us.

Kara

250 is an awful lot of money. You should get an attorney involved and check references to the 9th degree. Check with the BBB local courthouse for liens and contact the contractors suppliers and after all has been checked out and you hire one....Pray.........Good luck

Rachel

At that kind of dough, I'd be looking for one contractor... the general contractor.Place the burden on him/her for the selecting of the subs. However, make certain demands. - Proof of proper licensing and appropriate (and adequate) insurance. - Zero tolerance drug and alcohol clauses in all contracts: immediate removal and termination of contract if an employee brings drugs or alcohol on the premises.- At least three bids each for each subcontracted job.- Demand progress reports. Verbal daily. Written weekly or more often when there are problems.- What is your business? You might have unique security needs to consider. - A clear and concise change order process. There will be some, so be prepared to deal with it.Lastly, and perhaps most importantly, talk to others who have had similar projects done recently. Learn from their lessons... a lot less expensive.G'luck!

In addition to the good advice already given I held the contractor personally responsible for the progress and quality of work being done. I also had this in the contract so he had to come back out almost every other day to make sure that each step of the project was done accordingly and to my satisfaction. After some of the painting was redone and some of the flooring getting ripped out and redone the end results were exactly what I wanted.