Planning A Kitchen Remodel?

FallenAngel

I want to remodel my kitchen within the next year (including taking down a wall to open up the kitchen. Any tips for getting started? If I hire a contractor, will they be able to help me design the kitchen or do I need to hire a separate designer or architect? Where do I find these people? Thanks for any advice.Add'l details -- want to remove a wall between the kitchen and dining room to create a bar/stove range area. Then update cabinets and flooring and whatever needs to be replaced after removing the wall.

Maryjane

As basic as a kitchen looks, what are you remodeling? Cabinets, counter tops, floors, appliances?If you are looking at cabinetry, I like Maple or Birch. Staggered looks is a nice look also. Granite countertops are nice also but not necessary.Go to a kitchen store and they will do it all for you...

Rachel

You can get help figuring things out a home improvement center. They can help you plan and help you figure out the cost and know what you're up against. Roxanne

Allie

Home Depot and Costco will send out a consultant. They will be able to answer all your questions. Whatever minimal fee they may charge is well worth it. They need to actually be on the premises to see walls, electrical, etc. Call them, you will be glad you did.

JAngel

Sit down in your kitchen and invision where the appliances should be.Get a pencil and paper and draw it out. Go through this process several times. Look on thathomesite in the kitchens forum, they have pictures of finished kitchens and you will get great ideas. Go with the style you like best. Get samples of flooring , tile for backsplash,paint swatches, window treatment pictures you like and make a design book. You could hire someone,but you will be the one using the kitchen, don't trust a stranger to make it the kitchen of your dreams.