What are inexpensive remodel tips for my kitchen (see pics)?

Mama

I have a small kitchen and an even smaller budget! I painted the dark wood cabinets to white but it still looks dated. Things I'd like to change include:1. replace sink2. countertops (prefer granite but something inexpensive)3. replace cabinets if I can do it cheaplyAny ideas? This is in Los Angeles in case that makes a difference.Here are 2 pics:http://s43.photobucket.com/albums/e376/talart/?action=view&current=BarryAvejuly2009017.jpghttp://s43.photobucket.com/albums/e376/talart/?action=view&current=BarryAvejuly2009015.jpgwow thanks for the great inexpensive tips!!

Tamra

The cabinets look great! Put some knobs or handles on them. Paint that end wall. Put up a picture or a large chalkboard. Fabric roman shade where the blind is. Maybe some butcher block for the counters.

Rachel

Paint the walls a nice color.Regrout the floor.Add a stainless steel backsplash behind the stove.Add an over the oven microwave.Add under cabinet task lighting. Easy and inexpensive to install, looks great.

JAngel

If the counter top is in good shape I would leave that alone. You can always replace that later on. The main thing I would do is add some color. It really needs some color in the room. Paint the walls. I don't know what kind of decor your are into but, you need some color in the room. The white is just kind of blah. It is a nice kitchen but, needs some paint and decorations. The sink I would go with stainless steel. Are the cabinets in descent shape? If they are in good shape then put some handles on them. I like the color below or lighter green for the walls and then add some nice window fixtures and some border.Cabinets are a couple of thousand dollars. Then if you aren't going to install them yourself it is going to cost you to have them installed.

Amber

if the cabinets are in good working order, leave them alone. that's the biggest expense you could incur. definitely add some nice hardware though or re paint them. white is pretty stark for me but some folks love it. the counters can be replaced relatively inexpensively but not with granite. there are styles of formica type substances that resemble granite. if you put a beveled edge on them they look alot better too. absolutely add some color too. on the cabinets or walls. and add some molding around the window for a more finished look. give the tile a good scrubbing and re-grout in necessary.

AmandaSue

If you have a Great Indoors store near you, go there and look for some great handles or knobs that reflect your taste and dress up those cabinets! Tile can be very inexpensive and easy to install. How about tiling the back splash?! Then, add a great color to the walls to co-ordinate with the tile. Don't forget the ceiling!! You can paint it the same as the walls or a lighter version of the same color. Get rid of the blinds and consider tiling around the window too! A frame of tile or just inside the window on the sill. Counter-tops are not as expensive as you may think if you find something you like that is "in stock." Formica or laminate has come a long way. If you like tile I know that you can tile over formica. Check the DIY web sites. You can find instructions there. A great rug on the floor could be just the thing to tie the whole room together. Good luck and have fun!!