What is the difference between an ob/gyn and a fertility clinic?

whiskeyflirt

I was diagnosed with PCOS and my doctor found out that I'm most likely not ovulating. Well I was referred to an ob/gyn but there is also a fertility clinic as part of our military hospital system. I was wondering what is the difference? I really only need to be put on clomid most likely. What do they do at a fertility clinic that they don't do at the ob/gyn?? I want to make sure I'm going to the right place.

wisdom seeker

It's about specialization. OB\GYNs specialize in the health of the female reproductive system (i.e. preventing problems that harm YOU). Fertility clinics specialize in the ability of the system to house and provide for a baby.

whaddajoke

Well a fertility clinic helps you get pregnant and stuff while an obgyn does pap smears, and prescribes birth control and treats pregnant women.

whatcha

OB/GYN specializes in gynecology, and obstetrics which is generally pregnancy and birth, a reproductive endocrinologist (an RE) is someone that specializes in what could be wrong that would make a woman or man infertile. The ob/gyn is the next step in finding out what is going on, as your primary doctor is not specialized, from there your OB/GYN will help you to figure out if you are ovulating or not, or if you have a varying degree of a cycle. From there, you could end up going to a fertility clinic for further testing.

William

I think your doctor made the right call sending you to the ob/gyn so you can be sure if you are ovulating or not. If you want to have a baby you would go to a fertility clinic after you know more about why you and your partner are not getting pregnant.