Can you get shingles if you never had chickenpox?

the d

Can you get shingles if your pretty sure you never had chickenpox I have red all the same color marks on one side .They dont hurt, only ich if I touch them but not bad feels like dry skin had it for about tho months.

Magick

Yes; shingles are chicken pox for adults that never got chicken pox. Check with your doctor, however; they may not be shingles.

gazeygoo

When you have chicken pox and it has run its course, the virus sits dormant in your nerve roots. If something triggers the virus to travel to the nerve endings you now have shingles. Therefore you cannot have shingles if you haven't had chicken pox. Shingles looks something like chicken pox but it limited to one side of the body and sometimes a definite line can be drawn down the center of the face or back. The nerves can be very painful and it can linger for quite awhile. A doctor can diagnose this quite easily for you.

lost and found

No you can't Shingles is from having had the chicken pox just go to search and put in shingles it will tell you everything about it. Also wash your body with apple cidar vinegar it will stop the itching and make your skin feel good and soft

tamumd

gazeygoo is correct however many people have mild cases of chicken pox that are not recognized or diagnosed. also, with the new chicken pox vaccine , people can have subclinical infections, so it can be impossible to be sure you've never had chicken pox.

mnvikes8484

not likely, the virus lays dormant in the nerves after having chicken pox, which is why you usually get shingles in certain spots

nitowl

I agree that you could have had a mild case of chickenpox and not realized it. We had chickenpox go thru our family of 7 kids. It started on Good Friday and lasted until Memorial Day. One kid had what looked like a couple of pimples that went away in 2 days. If he had been my only kid I might not have realized what it really was. He was never sick at all. Most of the others got a real good dose thou.

smoothassilk

you get chicken pox first. They both come from the herpes zoster virus. you might look this up on web M.D. I know of a child who was exposed to herpes simplex and got it on his hand and he had not had chicken pox at that point.

Alli

Yes, even if you have never had chicken pox, you can still get shingles. Recent studies suggest that incidence of shingles is linked to the frequency of periodic exogenous (outside) exposures to children with varicella (chickenpox).

alyssabeth2304

No, you CAN NOT get shingles if you've never had chicken pox. the two are related. for instance, if you've had chicken pox when you were younger, they went away. But, it lyes dormant in your cells for years and years. Mainly elderly people get it. But it doesn't nessesarily mean that everyone who has ever had chicken pox will get shingles. Shingles is a form of herpes. And the medicel term is Herpes Zoster.Waht you described doesn't really sound like shingles. shingles hurt and sting.