altered ego

I'm putting my household goods into storage for a little more than a year. Is there anything I should know to keep my furniture and electronics from harm? Anything that will stop working because I didn't use them, I want to make sure to give to someone else. Will my computer work? Will my couches get moldy? Any ideas to keep everything in good condition would be great.

dmja 45

Wrap couches/sofa and chairs in plastic.Have a lap-top?you will want to check email etc.often to keep them active.Cover electronics:TVs/stereos etc.as well as dressers.Keep everything up off floor.

Sue

If you are renting a storage unit, inspect the one you will rent before you pay for it -- look for mouse droppings, marks on the concrete from water leaks, or openings that could let in birds or rodents.The first poster recommends wrapping furniture in plastic. I wouldn't wrap them, as moisture will condense inside and actually encourage mold or mildew growth. On wood or fiberboard, accumulated moisture will cause swelling and staining, and possibly ruin the piece. Instead, cover them with sheets or old blankets to keep the dust down, but allow air to circulate. Vacuum upholstered pieces, and consider steam cleaning them, so that stains won't settle and insects and rodents don't find it to be a safe home. Be sure everything is completely dry before storing. Don't stack items on top of upholstered furniture, or the dented foam filling might not recover.As for electronics, store them in plastic totes, padded with some bubble pack. Stop by your local shoe store (Payless!) and get a bunch of those little packets of dessicant, which absorbs moisture. Put several into each tote bin. Lable the power cords so you remember what is what, and take the batteries out of remotes, clocks and toys.Clothing - wash and dry thoroughly. Perspiration and food stains become permanent, especially during the extreme hot and cold the storage unit will go through in a year. Same for comforters and pillows. Leather and suede never store well, any bit of moisture tends to find and stain them.Power equipment, appliances: empty all fuel, clean thoroughly. Any bits of food, dead grass, etc. will decompose or evaporate, leaving an odor in everything in the unit. Wipe off any grease.Don't use newspaper to wrap anything. The dye rubs off, and will damage dishes and decor items stored that long. First wrap stuff in unprinted paper or even cheap paper towels, and use the newsprint just to fill the edges.Think about what you are storing, too. Is the box of mis-matched plastic bowls and lids worth what you are paying to store it? Will the clothing and coats fit (and be in style) when you unpack? The difference in cost for a medium unit versus a large unit for a year or more could pay for a new sofa.Finally, use your desks, tables and bookshelves wisely. Stack boxes against a wall, then use a bookcase to steady the stack. Take the legs off tables and store the pieces vertically, since they won't support the weight of all the stuff you will be tempted to pile on top.

foodieNY

Insurance! A lot of people don't realize that if their stuff is stolen, damaged or lost to a fire they are out everything. Only the owner of the storage is covered, not the individual renters. Google dessicants if you want to find products that are made to absorb any moisture to prevent mold from storage, they come in all different sizes. I've seen packets of moisture absorbants at walmart, that would be a cheaper option. They are made for hanging in damp locations such as a basement. I wouldn't recommend wrapping anything tightly in plastic, if it were to get humid you wouldn't want the items wrapped to "sweat". Cover the sofa with a moving blanket or just use an old blanket or comforter. Just package your electronics loosely in cardboard boxes and they should be fine.