How can i raise more awareness on Autism in my school?

drummer

I have autism, and people at my school bully me. Do you know what i can do to raise more awareness? Could this have anything to do with contacting Autism Society of Canada?

SillyMia

Yes. Contact an organization that raises funds for autism. They should have a person who could give presentations at your school or sit down with you and give you ideas. Call them, don't e-mail. Insist on it because this is exactly what people donate money to them for: YOU.

Catherine

First of all, I want to tell you that my heart goes out to you for having to put up with the ignorance and bloody meaness of others. Definitely contact the Autism Society of Canada and let them know what is going on! You need support. Also you need to get your parents and school involved with stopping the students that bully you. Bullying is a crime.Then call in the media. Pick CNN, CBC, and all the biggies. Let them know that you are autistic and proud. Let them know what you put up with. Tell them your achievements. Shame those bullys!CR.

rooney

I agree with the first person. You may even be able to get someone famous or fairly famous, like Jenny McCarthy, to come to your school and talk about it, there are many celebrities or athletes that have a child or a relative with autism. And I can't believe these kids at school, I can't imagine how painful it is for you. Be strong and Good Luck!

dtowndave22

Oh..dear. I don't know if this problem will ever go away in secondary and primary school. Bullying is an awful thing, and there are many factors. First of all, like you mentioned, education is the key. Lack of knowledge leads to intolerance. I'm not going to preach, but I don't think public schools are doing a great job at educating our students on the whole. I don't think Canada is excluded, as I live in the U.S.I think contacting the Autism Society of Canada would be a great place to start. Write an email or letter, or even call them, telling them of your concerns. Do not hold back. I must admit, I don't know a great deal about autism. The extent that I know about it is that one with autism has very poor social skills, will rarely make eye contact with others, but they do have their strong points--I do know that they are strong in other areas--I believe math, science, computers, and the like. It might be too forward to give those that have disregarded you, literature. I know how school can be. People who are bullies have their own problems. They may be insecure, bullied theirself, or both.I wouldn't shy away from sticking up for yourself. I would also have your parents contact your school's teacher, principal, or who ever else could do something. Have literature dispersed throughout the school. Also, try having a teacher, in a class that is appropriate, such as a science class, give a short lecture on autism, and don't let the teacher be shy about why she is giving the lecture. It is when we fail to bring important concerns to light, is when the implications of the problem shall set darkness upon us. As far as interpersonal communication is concerned with the bullies; be respectful toward them, but don't let them walk on you. It might be risky to let them know your situation--but politely telling them off might not be a bad idea. Something along the lines of "I have a condition you clearly know nothing about. If you are apt to make fun of me for this, what does that speak about your character?" I'm not making any promises, but shame brought on by other students, may embarrass these bullies.Lastly, if this school is a school that puts students such as yourself, down at the bottom, as far as their priorities are concerned, it may be worth the investment your family makes for you, to seek and attend a school that cultivates an environment for learning, rather than tormenting. School is already hard enough. Add in autism, and being reminded of your condition? That is not a situation that I envy, and I wish you all the best.I hope this helps you, and I hope your situation improves greatly.Best regards,Dave

gsmom

Good For You.One there are Laws in school systems to protect you tho i dint know how the Canadian laws work ,i am here in the state's.Here is a link for Autism support in CANhttp://www.bbbautism.com/canada_contents.htm There is also autism speaks But i could not find the link for canada But there is one.But yes start with Autism Society of Canadahttp://www.autismontario.com/client/aso/ao.nsf/Ottawa/Family+SupportGood luck and be proud of yourself for making a difference.My son is 15 and living with aspergers He has come a long ways luckily He at this point is not experiencing the cruelty you are.Keep up the great work.