Tips on keeping the house warm during winter?

Its always cold in my kitchen and I was wondering what tips can you give to help keep the kitchen warm during winter. Everywhere else is warm, but it's sometimes so unbarable and I get cold with 4 layers on. What to do?

AmandaSue

There is a 3M product that insulates windows from cold drafts. You cant see it but it makes a WORLD of difference. Also, the next time you cook or use the oven, when you are finished, leave the oven door open and let the heat escape into the kitchen, its a good little way to quickly boost the temperature using heat you've already created. Here is a link that describes the 3M product in further detail:http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/en_US/WindowInsulatorKits/Products/Good luck and stay warm!

xxBabygirlxx

You should check where your water pipes come in under your sink.Also if you have a washer and dryer in there then check your dryer outlet and your pipe inlets for your washer.Those are the most common places cold air will seep in from the outside.Get yourself some caulk and fill in these areas and you should notice a differance.

FallenAngel

If the rest of the house is OK, then there is a leakage problem in the kitchen. Take your hands and place them all over the outside walls , under the sink, windows, etc, and find the really cold spots. Then correct those areas. You can also rent an IR heat sensor and it will show what the cold spots are (or an insulation contractor would probably have one).

Tamra

Check all sources of leaks and vents. Caulk around the inside and outside of all windows and doors. Add weatherstripping as well. Buy the foam insulators that go under switchplates and wall socket faceplates and install them. Be sure your furnace filters are clean and check the ductwork for leaks. Without severe leaks through windows and doors, most heat escapes homes through the ceiling. Check to see if you've got (enough) insulation in your attic over the kitchen. If you've got a vented exhaust fan in the kitchen, be sure it's got a damper that closes automatically when it's not in use and use it only when you're cooking.