Chef

Administrator
Staff member
"NOW THATS WHAT I CALL A CHRISTMAS DINNER".
There are a few steps to this but most can be made a day ahead... in fact I normally assemble it
all the evening before and then it is ready to go...

Mushroom Risotto
300mls/just over 1 cup rice
approx. 600mls/2 and a quarter cups hot stock ( I use Kallo mushroom stock cubes)
1 onion, finely chopped
couple of cloves garlic, crushed or finely chopped
Jar of antipasto mushrooms, minus a tbsp mushrooms (make sure they are vegan), drain and
reserve the oil.
big handful of chestnut mushrooms, sliced
a few dried mushrooms, soaked in hot water and then finely chopped
tsp dried oregano ( or fresh if you can)
fresh basil, sliced
Soyamince filling
1 cup defrosted vegemince or 1 cup rehydrated soya mince,
remaining tbsp of mushrooms,
enough sun dried tomato puree to bind it together and some fresh basil
Stuffing
1 onion finely chopped,
1 cup oats
1/2 cup suet,
1 tsp mixed herbs and some salt and pepper.
Aprox. 500g./18oz of frozen, vegan puff pastry

Mushroom Risotto:
Put some of the reserved mushroom oil in a pan and saute the onions and garlic until soft, add the
rice and mix it all together. Add all the different mushrooms and the oregano if dried. Mix again
and then gradually add the stock stirring constantly for that creamy risotto texture. More or less
liquid may be needed. Add fresh herbs , mix and set aside.

soyamince filling:
In a blender mix together approx. 1 cup defrosted vegemince or 1 cup rehydrated soya mince,
remaining tbsp of mushrooms, enough sun dried tomato puree to bind it together and some fresh
basil

Stuffing:
chop an onion finely and mix it with 1 cup oats to 1/2 cup suet,1 tsp mixed herbs and some salt
and pepper. bind with a little water to form a sausage...be careful not to add too much water.
Have ready some defrosted vegan puff pastry rolled out into a rectangle.

Assembly:
Get the puff pastry and spread it lightly with sun dried tomato paste and stick basil leaves on to
this. Get the cooled mushroom risotto and spread it onto the pastry leaving room at all ends...
you wont need all the risotto. On top of this place the soya mince filling and then place the
stuffing sausage along the center. Fold up the sides until they meet in the middle...hopefully!! If
they are reluctant to stick down then brush with a little soya milk. Put on a baking tray. It is
advisable, if possible, to raise the pastry parcel off the tray using a rack as I have found the
bottom has a tendency to burn. You can now leave it until Christmas Day! To cook follow the
temperature guide on the packet of puff pastry. Easy!

Back