Pour chlorox in the garbage can and let set in the hot sun. Another suggestion is take it to the car wash and power wash it out.

Sprinkle in a bit of baking soda on sides and bottom of garbage pail. Then pour in about a half-cup of white vinegar (even the inexpensive kind will do.) Shake it all around to get all the soda bubbling up. This should do it, but if there is debris in the bottom if something leaked from the garbage liner, then just use a scrubber pad a bit to release the mess, and pour it all down the garbage disposal. The drains need clearing out like this from time to time anyway. Rinse out with water, and the smell should be gone immediately. The vinegar smell will recede like when dry. White vinegar will remove ANY odor, and the chemical reaction with the soda helps to fumigate, and scrub out messes. If you are unsure of difference between baking soda and powder, I am talking about the rectangular box, usually brand of Arm & Hammer in the yellow/orange box, and not baking powder, which comes in a round or rectangular can. I only say this, because they used to confuse me. Just remember the soda is the one that bubbles up and reacts with the vinegar. This works every time, plus keeping a plastic liner in the garbage can helps a lot.

Back